To help students through the college application process, the college counseling program offers a number of resources and access for families at all points during a student’s time at Crossroads, with the majority of support taking place during 11th and 12th grades:
- Free on-campus ACT and SAT Prep
- Weekly small group meetings beginning in January of the junior year and continuing throughout the senior year to assist students in navigating the college choice experience
- Parent and student information sessions on paying for college and successfully transitioning to college
- Additional educational presentations for various grade levels offered through the advisory program
- A personalized online data management system to assist students in navigating their college choice journey
With the counselor's help and their families’ input and support, each student can develop and demonstrate their independence and responsibility – along with knowledge about who they are – through this process. In the end, the application process is about all students finding the college that is the right fit for them, which meets their academic and career goals, suits the desires they have for campus life, and provides the resources and opportunities they're seeking.
Our college consultant, Barbara Sams, has more than 30 years of experience in college admission and high school counseling. She guides each student through their college choice journey. Additional meetings are held throughout 11th and 12th grade to help students and their families with the search, application, and selection process. In addition, newsletters with information for all upper school students are sent regularly throughout the year.